Friday, June 5, 2009

Thing #25

Thanks for providing this opportunity to learn new technologies! I had used mapquest so I felt comfortable exploring google maps. 12200 N St 68508 is, of course, the Library Commission site. Exploring Moscow, Russia was a real treat! My brother lived there for many years until 10 years ago. Wouldn't it have been great to have had access to this technology while he was so far away from his family? We're more glad to have him home than any technology could provide. Iceland was interesting. I want to visit Smith Falls near Valentine. We go north often to play and need to include some variety to our trips. Viewing motels in any city would certainly help make wiser choices concerning accomodations. In my general search of libraries in Nebraska, there was no mention of North Platte Public Library. We need to do something about that! My husband and I are going to Washington DC in September so I thoroughly enjoyed using google features to explore the sites we plan to visit. Our summer trip will be to St. Louis via Amtrak from Kansas City so I will be using this technology to make the most of our time there. Google maps is an excellent tool for travel - even for finding routes from our motel to the Convention Center at LaVista for scheduled NLA meetings and the NLA conference in the fall.

The Nebraska State Capitol is located at the address of 1445 K Street 68509. The 3 cars that I saw were red, blue, and white. For mapping travel, I like to use the map view, however, I like to see the street view to locate landmarks. Using both, clarifies and makes following directions more accurate. Satellite view is especially interesting. I found my house and my youngest son's home which is close to ours. I want to look for my oldest son's house in Overland Park, KS. I used street view for Eiffel Tower, Paris, France and Random Street in Japan. I didn't see any kangaroos - maybe I'm expecting too much - maybe I'll try again. It was fun to see Carhenge via the satellite.

In the search for my library, I did find it. Using google maps, I just put in North Platte Public Library. The marker is pretty close. It's a bit farther east that our actual site. I didn't edit since I know others from my library will be viewing that site. The URL of our library is not there. I found one review posted 02/16/2006.

The feature I liked best is the aerial views via satellite. The most useful is probably google maps for driving and then street view which verifies landmarks to assure that we are on the right path. I plan to make a customized map for our visit to St. Louis.

I did not embed a map on our library's website. I think that would be in the technology department area. We do use google maps at our North Platte Public Library. The circulation manager uses googlemaps to verify addresses of people applying for library cards.

1 Comments:

At June 8, 2009 at 11:56 AM , Blogger Allana said...

It sounds like you had fun playing with Google Maps. I really like the idea of using street view to check out motels. I had never thought about doing that before.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home